Soil Science Editing is pleased to provide a full range of manuscript support services. This consultancy can include detailed commentary and assessment of your manuscript, journal selection, formatting and reference checking, cover letter writing, abstract and manuscript shortening, editing and checking of point-by-point response letters and poster/conference abstract development. Note that Dr. Boon does not provide peer review or advice on scientific methods, statistical presentation, data science or graphical presentation. Dr. Boon is concerned with optimising the scientific content already present within the manuscript and will work with you to ensure your content is well-structured, clear, concise and understandable for readers and reviewers.
Editing for researchers that struggle with English
- Dr. Boon understands that English is difficult for some researchers and wants to make sure that your ideas are presented as fluently as possible
- A manuscript with very poor English will be edited in detail to make sure that every possible meaning of a sentence is explored
- This consultancy option entitles you to several edits, Dr. Boon will work with you to make sure your intended meaning is clear
- Soil Science Editing is not interested in the bare minimum of English. Each sentence needs to do more than just “make sense in English”, it needs to effectively communicate your argument. Dr. Boon will ensure that your manuscript effectively presents the science to readers and reviewers
- In extreme cases, Dr. Boon will not waste your money and will recommend that you engage the services of a professional translator in your native language
Detailed scientific editing
- Intended for authors that want to get the very best out of their research, researchers new to publishing papers (PhD or early-career researchers) or those targeting high-impact journals
- Full assessment of your manuscript including structure, readability, logic and flow, presentation of results, novelty and impact etc.
- Working with you on your manuscript from first draft through to final publication
- Detailed comments on your manuscript including identifying areas of weakness, poor explanations, missing citations, irrelevant information etc.
- Responses to your comments on the manuscript and email dialogue as needed
- Continued editing and support as you develop your manuscript
- Selection of 3–5 appropriate journals for your manuscript
- Evaluation of your manuscript’s suitability for each journal
- Consideration of your needs (open access, indexing, impact factor etc.)
Formatting and reference-checking services
- Full formatting of your paper to suit the guidelines of your target journal and checking all requirements are met
- Formatting of references
- Full reference check (including checking the validity of the reference in full and ensuring consistency between the references list and the main text)
- Checking of author responses for English language and clarity of response
- Ensuring that all reviewer comments have been addressed correctly within the letter and the revised manuscript
- Advice on crafting responses to reviewers following peer-review
Dealing with rejection
- Unfortunately, rejection can happen. Soil Science Editing will support you through a rejection, helping you to select a new target journal and move forward with the new submission
- Advice in incorporating any advice from a rejection to create an improved manuscript
- Reformatting and restructuring of the manuscript to meet new journal guidelines
- Revisions to meet new journal word counts or other restrictions
- Cover letter writing
- Writing of highlights, core summaries or impact statements
- Shortening of abstracts or manuscripts to meet journal restrictions
- Abstract creation from a manuscript
- Creation of text for a poster or conference abstract
All consultancy services are charged at the same price of £60/hour. As all consultancy jobs are different, this is the easiest way to standardise pricing and ensure you get the best quality service.
For full manuscript support, a deposit is paid at the standard editing rate (£35/1000 words) based on the manuscript word count once the job is agreed. This covers Dr. Boon’s time when working on the first stage of the edit. The consultancy work is then invoiced at the first submission stage and again at any submission stages thereafter. The deposit amount will be removed from the first consultancy invoice.
For partial consultancy services (no manuscript edit), a quote will be generated for you based on the expected time taken to conduct the job and billed on completion. The following gives an approximate indication of the amount of time needed for some services. However, these are guideline suggestions only and may change depending on the complexity of the work. Partial hours are not calculated (time spent is always calculated to the next full hour).
Detailed scientific editing of a moderate quality 5,000-word article: 5–7 hours (£300–420)
Detailed scientific editing of a poor-English-quality 5,000-word article: 7–10 hours (£420–600)
Journal selection: 2–3 hours (£120–180)
Response letters (length dependent): 2–5 hours (£120–300)
Writing tasks (with manuscript editing): 1–2 hours (£60–120)
Writing tasks (without manuscript editing): 2–3 hours (£120–180)
Contact Soil Science Editing
Dr. Boon provides a wide range of scientific consultancy services that can be negotiated as add-on to standard copy-editing. Please get in touch to discuss your needs. A more precise quote for the number of hours needed can be provided once Dr. Boon assesses your manuscript.
Privacy and Confidentiality Guaranteed
Soil Science Editing is committed to diligence regarding the security of your content. All records will be removed once you are satisfied and no information from your content will be shared. In all cases the copyright of the content remains with the original authors.